How do you collect personal data?
We collect information from individuals in any of the following circumstances:
- They order a product from our website or directly from our office.
- They register for a student or instructor account on our website.
- They request information or complimentary review or desk copies of our books.
How and where is this information stored?
We store this information on secured data management software.
How is customer information used once it is collected?
- To receive and complete customer orders.
- To inform our customers of free products and services we offer in connection with our publications.
- To inform our customers of other Books of Discovery products they might be interested in.
- To offer instructors valuable information for use in their classrooms as well as information about upcoming professional conferences that Books of Discovery attends as an exhibitor.
How is customer information secured?
Customer information is stored only on private, password and/or access-protected servers or websites.
Is customer data transferred to other organizations or countries?
- We share customer information with our contracted marketing professionals, who also protect the data through private, password-protected servers and/or websites. No customer data is sold to or shared with any other third parties for marketing purposes.
- We share customer information with our international distributors who use that information only to fulfill orders and/or to support a program, instructor, or student.
Who in your organization can access the personal data?
Only employees performing customer service responsibilities may access customer information. All customer information is secured in password-protected servers and/or websites. Credit card numbers are encrypted so no individual in our organization can see them in their entirety after an order is processed.
What personal information about customers does Books of Discovery collect?
- We receive information customers provide us from our website, through email, on the phone, or via fax.
- The only customer data we save is a) customer order information, and b) instructor or student account information.
- We collect publicly available information from professional association websites.
For what purposes does Books of Discovery process its customers’ personal
- Purchase and delivery of products and services: We use customer information to receive and handle orders, deliver products and services, process payments, and communicate with customers about orders, products and services, and promotional offers.
- Provide, troubleshoot, and improve our services: We use customer information to provide functionality, analyze performance, fix errors, and improve the usability and effectiveness of our products and services.
- Recommendations and personalization: We use customer information to recommend products and services that might be of interest to our customers.
- Communicate with our customers: We use customer information to share information with customers about our products and services.
What about cookies?
We do not collect cookies.
What about third-party advertisers and links to other websites?
We do not currently advertise for any other company or have links to their websites.
What information can customers access?
Customers can update their passwords through an automated process on our
What choices do customers have?
There is an opt-out option on all mass marketing emails sent by Books of Discovery. In addition, EU customers are required to opt-in to receive such emails. Customers can always edit or delete any information by contacting us directly.
Are children allowed to buy from Books of Discovery?
While Books of Discovery products are safe and legal for people under 18, we do not intentionally sell our products to children. United States customers under 18 should use our website or order our products only under the supervision of a parent or guardian. EU customers are required to self-identify as 16 or over before creating an account, ordering materials, or receiving emails from Books of Discovery. EU customers under the age of 16 must provide affirmative consent from a parent or guardian.
How long does Books of Discovery keep customers’ personal information?
We store customer information to enable us to fulfill customer orders and to allow our customers’ continued use of Books of Discovery services and features for as long as it is of value to our customers. Our customers primarily include students enrolled in semester or multi-year educational programs, and faculty and instructors who may use and teach with our publications and products for years or decades. Therefore, we do not automatically terminate customer accounts or delete customer information on a set schedule. However, any customer may contact us at any time to have their personal information removed from our systems.
Contacts, Notices, and Revisions
If you have any concern about privacy at Books of Discovery or want to contact one of our data controllers, please contact us with a detailed explanation and we will try to resolve the issue for you. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account.